How To Create A Appealing And Blooming Balcony Garden
Do you want to add some plants to your home for clean air? Or do you want to grow your own food? But don’t have enough space? Well, if this is the issue you have in creating your own garden, then creating a balcony garden can help you with this.
There are many simple and efficient types of balcony garden ideas that you can try for yourself. The good thing about these balcony garden designs is that they don’t require much for the creation, and all you need is to follow some basic steps. Using these ideas, you can also have your own balcony vegetable garden or a balcony herb garden.
In the article, we have prepared a complete guide for you to create a balcony garden. We will also explore some simple and easy things in the form of a questionnaire that you need to know for creating a balcony garden.
Questions You Need To Ask Before Creating A Balcony Garden
These are some of the questions which you need to ask yourself before you try any balcony garden ideas. You will specifically need to have answers to these questions if you want to have an apartment balcony garden.
How Much Space Do You Have In Your Balcony?
This is the first and most important question which you need to ask yourself before creating a balcony garden. The answer to the question will help you choose the right design that is suitable for your home.
In addition to this, the size of the space you have will also affect the factors in your balcony garden ideas. Some of the factors which will be affected by the space are:
- The types of balcony plants that you choose will be affected by the site. This is because if you have limited space on your balcony, then you will need to go for small and dwarf varieties of the plants along with the hanging plants.
- The size of the balcony will also impact the planters and pots you choose for the plants. For example, if you have the limited space, then you will need to go for optimum use of the space. For example, you should go for using the planting options like the balcony railing planters, vertical garden balcony planter box, and more.
- The size of your balcony will also help you in deciding the budget for your garden along with the other thighs.
- According to the size of the balcony, you will need to choose the right plants. For example, if you want to create a balcony vegetable garden, then you will need to choose a mixed variety of plants. You can go for some hanging vegetable vines, along with some dwarf plant varieties like tomato plants.
These are some of the things which will be affected by the size of space available on the balcony of your home. This is important as the more you plan according to space, the better use you can have for it.
How Can You Optimise The Space In Your Balcony?
These are some steps that you can follow for optimum use of the space in your balcony:
- Use a variety of planters. For example, go for balcony railing plants, hanging planters, and more types of the balcony planter box. The hanging planter can also be of different sizes so that you can go for multiple layers of hanging planters.
- Try ideas like a vertical garden.
- Use a mix of plant varieties. For example, plant some large plants that love the sun in combination with dwarf varieties which thrive in shades. Other than this, install some vines in the hanging pots.
- Use the railing and add some balcony railing planters to it. But remember to fix them properly, or they may fall off.
These are some of the things which you can do to optimizing the space on your balcony.
What Amounts Of The Sunlight Do You Get In Your Balcony?
This is the next important aspect which you will need to consider before you go for the creation of a balcony garden. It will play a crucial role in your garden as some plants are sun hardy whereas some require partial sun. So, this will impact the varieties of the plants you choose for your apartment balcony garden.
Some of the factors which the sun will impact in your balcony garden ideas are:
- You will need to choose the plants in your balcony garden according to the sun. This is important as otherwise, the plants may get burnt, or if the sunlight is low, they may not thrive.
- The amount of watering you provide to the plants will also be according to the sun. This is because if your balcony receives full sun for long hours, then you will need to water the plants more frequently.
- Other than this, the types of installations you use in your garden will also be in accordance with the sunlight. For example, if you chose a plant that doesn’t like full sun for long hours, then you can use a hanging pot for it. This will help in providing them with partial shade. However, you can also install artificial shade options. The best thing you can do for it is to try some bamboo fencing ideas. It is easy to install, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly.
These are some of the things which you will need to decide according to the availability of sun on your balcony.
How Much Heat Is There In The Balcony?
The heat and sun are two different things when it comes to creating a garden. This is because the heat in an area can be more while the availability of the sun may be less. The amount of heat varies depending on the various factors like the USDA zone you live in, the type of area you live in, and more. So you will need to consider these things:
- Does your balcony get too hot during the day even if the direct sun is not available? This may be due to city pollution or due to the buildings around your home reflecting heat.
- Which USDA zone do you live in. For example, if you live in a warm USDA zone, then the balcony may be too hot even if it doesn’t get direct sunlight.
- The other thing which can impact the amount of heat in the balcony is the outdoor unit of an air conditioner. These outdoor units emit heat and can lead to burns on the plants if they are in close proximity.
These are some of the things which you need to consider for amounts of heat before creating a balcony garden.
How To Save Plants From Heat And Sun?
You can do some simple things to save your balcony garden from the heat and sun. These are:
- The best thing you can do is go for installing a bamboo fence between the plants and the outdoor unit of AC.
- You can also go for some heat-hardy plants or water sprinkling on a regular basis to save plants from heat.
- Install an automatic water fogger. These are simple yet effective equipment that runs on electricity and spread a fog of water droplets. This helps in keeping down the heat. However, you will need to choose plants that don’t have any problems with humidity.
- You can also install some hanging vines on the outer space of the balcony. These vines will eventually spread downwards, providing the plants with partial shade and cool.
- You can also install an adjustable bamboo shade. They will protect the plants from heat during the afternoon while allowing them to receive sunlight during the morning and evening hours.
- One thing to know is to avoid the installation of shades made of thick cloth or material. This is important as it will block the air circulation in the garden, which can impact the plant’s health. So, the best option is to install a bamboo shade as it will protect from heat, is environment and budget-friendly, and doesn’t lock the air circulations.
These are some of the things which you can do to protect your apartment balcony garden from the heat and sun.
What Amounts Of Cold Does Your Balcony Receive?
This is the next thing which you will need to be aware of as too much of the cold or frost on the plants can damage them. To protect them from the frost, you can follow these steps:
- Go for winter plants. Choose the varieties which can tolerate low temperatures and frost up to a limit.
- Install bamboo fencing to protect the plants from frost and cold air. Other than this, you can also go for winter-hardy vines or ornamental grass in hanging pots. They will act as a protective barrier.
- You can also go for the installation of some heat-producing plant lights.
- Install a layer of insulation using the pipes installed for vines. They will help in keeping the day hat inside for plants while protecting them from cold air.
- One thing to remember is that no matter which method you use for the protection, it must be removable or movable. This is important as the plants should receive good amounts of light during the day.
These are some of the things which you can do to protect the plants against the cold.
Is It Windy?
Do you live on a high rise and receive high amounts of air on your balcony? Do you live in an area where the winds on your balcony are strong, like near the seashore? Well, if the answer is yes, then you will need to know some things before you create a balcony garden. These things are:
- Choose the right plant for space as some plants will just laugh at the high wind amounts, whereas others will just curl and die.
- You will also need to install some protections for our plants if you choose the plants that require moderate wind conditions.
- High winds may also lead to weak roots or even uprooting of the plants, so install accordingly.
These are some impacts which the high amounts of winds can have on your balcony garden.
How To Protect Plants From Windy Conditions?
These are some of the simple steps which you can follow for protecting the plants from windy conditions:
- If you want to go for a plant that doesn’t like the windy conditions, then you also go for some slight modification in your space. For example, you can install a bamboo fence.
- You can also go for a combination of plants. For example, plant some wind-loving plants in combination with moderate condition-loving plants. The windy lovers will act as a protective shield for the other varieties. However, you should remember that the other varieties should be dwarf in comparison to the wind lovers. This is important as otherwise, the movement of the wind lover plants may lead to damage to the other varieties.
- Install solid fencing on the balcony and use it to hang the hanging plants. The plants will reduce the speeds of the wind. One thing to know is that fix the hanging planters properly, or they may fall off.
- You can also go for partial installation of solid pipes or other things and use them for supporting the hanging vines. The vines will help in reducing the wind speeds while the pipes will protect them from damages like uprooting as vines will curl around them.
These are some of the things which you can try to have a beautiful balcony garden even in windy areas.
What Amount Of Care Are You Willing To Dedicate To Your Balcony Garden?
There are people who say that there are carefree plant varieties, but in reality, it’s a myth unless the plant is already dead or plastic made. All plants require some amount of care for optimum growth. This is why you should consider some things like:
- If you don’t have time to dedicate to plant care, then go for some low-maintenance plants.
- Use the technology. Go for installation of a drip irrigation system or auto-watering platter that comes with water reservoirs. This is in cases where you have to travel a lot or don’t have enough time to water them regularly.
- You can also go for some drought-resistant plant varieties.
- In case you are going to a herb garden, then you can also pay someone to take care of. There are many people who can do it for some bucks.
- For feeding them, you can use some slow-release varieties of fertilizers.
These are some of the things which you can do for the care of your balcony garden.
Is The Water Available Easily?
This is an important thing, especially if you live in an apartment where the water faucet is not available near the balcony. These are something which you should know for watering the plants:
- The variety of the plant. This is important as each variety has different water needs. So choose accordingly.
- The pot you choose. It will affect the water routine as some plants require good drainage and frequent watering.
These are some things which you should know for the watering of the plants.
What Can You Do To Solve A Water Problem In A Balcony Garden?
You can do many simple things to solve the problem of water in your balcony garden ideas. These are:
- Invest in technology. Install systems like drip irrigation or get to watering planters.
- You can also go for the installation of a temporary water pot in your garden.
- Get innovative. For example, if a plant requires regular moisture, then fill a bottle of water and fix it upside down in the pot. The sand will stop the water from flowing out instantly, while the slow release of water will maintain the maturity.
- Go for mulching. This will help in maintaining the moisture in the sand for long periods.
- Get some drought-resistant plants.
- You can also go for ideas like a vertical garden and raised bed garden and plan some good drainage-loving plants. Make a hole at the bottom of the pots. In this idea, water the topmost line of plants. Now the water will gradually sip down from the hole to the lower next line of plants and so on. And gradually, all the plants will be watered.
These are some of the things which you can do for your garden to solve the water problem.
What Are The Rules For Balcony Garden?
This is an important thing to know as the various apartment buildings and areas may not allow balcony gardens. Some things to know are;
- You need to know the rules before creating a balcony garden, as some building rules and regional authorities prohibit building or rooftop gardens.
- Other than this, also consult the building engineer about the strength of your balcony as the weight of watered sand-filled platers can be too much. So, make sure that the balcony is strong enough to handle the weight.
- If you live in a rented space, then seek the permission of the landlord before making any changes to space.
- Go through the living contracts if you have any to avoid any problems before making changes to space.
These are some rules which you need to know before creating a balcony garden, as it will not be pleasant to see them dismantle your garden after you have created it.
What Is Your Budget For Balcony Garden?
The budget will impact the choices you make for your balcony garden. So, set a budget and then choose the balcony garden ideas according to it.
However, you don’t need to spend a fortune to create a balcony garden. Follow these simple steps to create a garden on a budget:
- Choose the minimum care and feed needing plants. This will help you in reducing the amount you invest in fertilizers and water supplies.
- Purchase gardening supplies from second-hand supply stores or yard sales.
- You can also get innovative and reuse things in the form of pots. For example, large bottles can be used for potting.
- Try ideas like bamboo fencing as they are both cost-effective and environment-friendly.
- Try some DIY projects instead of installing market irrigation systems. For example, using a simple saline bottle and supply line, you can create a drip irrigation system at home. All you need to do is install it like they do in hospitals and control the water flow. Other than this, you can simply put a water bottle without a cape upside down with its mouth in the sand. The sand will stop water from sipping out quickly, and it will slowly seep out, maintaining the moisture.
These are some of the things which you can do for lowering your cost and creating a balcony garden on a budget.
Do you want to have your own garden? But don’t have space for it? Well, then creating a balcony garden can be the solution for you.
There are many simple things with which you can create a good balcony garden. All you will need to do is know some basics of creating a balcony garden. For this, you can also take the help of the guide we have prepared for you in the article above.
What are your thoughts on the balcony garden? Do let us know in the comment box below.