How To Make A Soaker Hose Using Old Garden Hose
Garden soaker hose is the best way to water your plants sometime. A soaker hose is consistent, gentle and provides deep watering ina relatively large area. If your garden is suffering from drought then a soaker hose is perfect for your garden. If you want to learn how to make a soaker hose, then this article is right for you.you don’t need many pieces of equipment but only an old garden hose. And your personal garden soaker hose will get ready in only 5-10 minutes and will cost you nothing. Your garden will thank you for your hose sprinkler system by giving you tasty vegetables and beautiful flowers.
Things you will need to make garden soaker hose:-
- Old garden hose.
- Hose cap
Steps to make new sprinkler hose:-
- Find your old garden hose in your garage that is no longer of any use. You will definitely find that leaky hose which you never fixed and is probably lying around somewhere in your garden.
Drill hole evenly spaced along the entire length of the hose. You can use 1/4th inch of a drill bit. Take care of the drill fro one side of the hose.
- Screw hose cap at the end side of the hose. This way you are forcing the water to come out gently from the hose that you made and not from the end of the hose.
- Keep the hose in an area that you have water and make sure that all the territories that need to be watered should be covered. If your garden is big, you will need two hoses and will have to attach them together.
- Attach the open end of the new garden soaker hose to the garden hose. Then simply turn the water on and soak your plants in water.
- Bury the garden soaker hose a few inches under mulch this helps in preventing evaporation.
- Turn on the spigot just enough so that water seeps from the holes of the hose. You would not want it to look like old faithful.
- If you want to conserve water and want to ensure deep watering, then run the soaker hose for a maximum of 30 minutes twice a week. You can adjust the soaking requirement as per the location and whether some area is experiencing drought or some area is super wet.
- If you cant remind yourself to turn off the water. Then you can set hose timer, and don’t worry about your memory. You can buy a built-in rain sensor timer. This is handy deice which detects automatically when the ground is wet and the hose will skip watering automatically.
- Always remember to remove the end cap of the garden soaker hose from time to time and use water to flush out any clogging residue from the hose. If you have buried the hose under mulch then this process becomes even more important.
- People usually throw away the damaged hose in the early parts of spring. If you can’t find any old garden hose in your garage then keep an eye out for the garden hose left on the curb.