How To Create A Compact Hanging Vegetable Garden At Home
Are you fed up with market veggies that are full of pesticides and chemicals? Do you want to grow your own veggies and eat organic? If yes, then creating a hanging vegetable garden can help you do it.
The hanging vegetable garden ideas are best, especially for people who don’t have much spare space in their homes. They can use the little spare space in their homes to create an attractive and productive hanging garden easily. The good thing about the hanging garden is that it doesn’t require much investment, and you can easily create one on a budget.
In the article, we will explore some of the best hanging vegetable garden ideas which you can try. In addition to this, we will also explain what types of vegetables are best suited for the hanging baskets.
Which Types Of Vegetables Are Best For A Hanging Vegetable Garden?
The compact and space-saving garden design has been gaining popularity in recent years and for all the right reasons. People are growing their own food to eat as much organic food as possible. This has also led to the development of a cottage industry around this field that provides solutions for compact gardens.
The best hanging garden plants are the dwarf varieties of various vegetables. Some of the most popular varieties include dwarf tomatoes and snow peas. Other than this, hanging herb gardens can also be an option as there are many varieties of dwarf herb plants available. One good thing about these dwarf varieties is that they can provide a complete meal with a single hanging container or basket.
Most Suitable Types Of Vegetables For Hanging Baskets
The vine crips and dwarf smaller varieties of the vegetables work great in the hanging vegetable garden ideas. Most popular plants include:
- Dwarf Tomato plants
- Small varieties of eggplants (Asian eggplant)
- Some dwarf varieties of pepper.
These are some of the best varieties of vegetable plants that you can grow in the hanging baskets. Other than this, if you wish to have some delicious fruits, then you can also go for varieties like:
- Other fruit vines.
What Factors Affect The Productivity Of Hanging Vegetable Garden?
The productivity and the success of the hanging garden depend on a number of factors. Some of these are:
- The amount of sunlight for the hanging basket plants varies according to the variety of the plants. For example, plants like eggplant and pepper require high amounts of sunlight and heat. In contrast, the plants like spinach like low sunlight.
- You should choose the variety of the plants according to the amounts of sunlight in your home. However, you can install some artificial plant lights.
- Other than this, some plants require a good amount of sunlight but indirectly. So, you will also need to install some partial shade options with the plants.
Soil And Water
- The amount of water and soil will also impact the vegetable garden. This is because even small varieties of the plants will require a gallon of soil for proper growth.
- The various plants require various soils varying from peat moss to compost. So choose the soil according to the variety of plants.
- The soil drainage should also be according to the variety of the plants.
- Other than this, the acidic levels of the soil must also be kept in mind, as the needs of plants vary.
- In case you are using some innovative methods for the plantation, then remember to make a hole at the bottom of the planter. This will help in better drainage.
Choosing The Planter
- You will also need to choose the planters according to the plants. For example, upside-down growth planters are best for the plants like tomatoes. These designs of the planter help in preventing the end of the stem due to gravity. They also help in providing the full nutrients to the plants, which might not have been possible in normal hanging baskets.
- The planter you choose for yourself must also be in accordance with the type of the plant. This is because there are specially designed planters for vines and other plants.
- Other than this, you can also get innovative to save on the coast, like using recycled containers and cans for plantations.
Other Things To Consider
- The needs of the hanging basket plants in the hanging vegetable garden are the same as the usual garden plants. This is why you will need to provide them with adequate moisture, drainage, and soil varieties according to the plant species.
- One more thing to know about the hanging vegetable garden is that you will need to keep the season in mind. This is because, like the usual species of the plants, the hanging baskets will also be affected by things like frost.
- Other than this, you will also need to keep the wind condition in mind if you are going for a balcony garden.
These are some of the factors which will impact the success and results of the hanging vegetable garden. So, choose the plant varieties accordingly and plant in accordance with the above-mentioned things.
Best Hanging Vegetable Garden Ideas
Now, when you know what you will need for a successful hanging vegetable garden, then let’s move on to the ideas. These are some of the best innovative and attractive ideas which you can try for creating a hanging garden:
Use The Railing
One of the best places for creating a hanging garden in a home is on the balcony. This is because the plants can get sunlight and essential air circulation easily.
These are some of the steps which you will need to follow to create a hanging vegetable garden on the balcony:
- First of all, you will need to get some balcony railing planters.
- In the next step, choose the plants which you want to grow in your garden.
- When choosing the plats, remember the climatic and weather conditions on your balcony.
- In the next step, use the planter and fill them up with the soil according to the needs of the plants you chose.
- One thing to remember in the balcony garden is that you should prefer the saplings available in the series. This is because growing plants will require too much effort, and climatic conditions will impact the growth.
- To control the climatic condition in the hanging garden on your balcony, you can install some things like bamboo fencing. They will help in controlling the winds while allowing proper circulation. Other than this, they will also help in preventing plants from direct sunlight, which might harm them.
These are some of the steps which you need to follow for creating a hanging vegetable garden on the balcony using the railing.
Using Multi-Tier Planters
This is one of the most popular ideas when it comes to creating a hanging garden in the home. To plant vegetables in the multi-tier planter, follow these steps:
- First of all, choose the planter according to the space available in the home.
- When choosing the planter, keep in mind that the vegetables need different amounts of space. So, choose the planter size in accordance with the vegetable you are going to plant and if the pots will fit.
- The planter you choose must also be able to handle the weight of the pots with soil and water.
- In the next step, when you plant the vegetables remember to keep them in accordance with the sunlight needs.
- Fix the planter according to the sunlight needs before fixing the pits. This is because the weight of the pots filled with the soil can be too much, and it will be hard to move the stand afterward.
- The good thing about the planter is that they come in various shapes and sizes. Some of the most popular include hanging wall baskets, corner planters, vertical garden planters, and more.
Using The Walls
The walls of a home can be a great space for having a hanging vegetable garden. In this, all you need to do is follow some simple steps:
- First of all, decide the part of the wall you are going to use for your garden.
- Now, using waterproofing paints and other solutions make the wall waterproof to avoid any damage.
- In the next step, you will need to choose the wall mounting planter for your hanging wall baskets.
- Now, fix the stand on the wall using some screws.
- Hang the baskets in the planter if it doesn’t have them already.
- One thing to remember in the wall-mounted hanging garden is that the wall must be able to handle the weight. Another thing is that the waterproofing solutions must be proper to avoid damage from moisture.
- The good thing about the wall-mounted hanging garden planters is that you can easily make them at home using some planks and screws.
This is another popular idea for the hanging garden. To implement this idea, follow these steps:
- This is one of the best ideas in case you don’t have the space for wall mounts or vertical planters.
- In these ideas, you can use the balcony for your hanging vegetable garden.
- To implement this idea, first of all, you will need to install an iron or wooden net capable enough to handle the weight of pots on the balcony. For this simple, hook the market or homemade net to the walls of your balcony using the screws.
- In the next step, you can hang the pots using the bars in the net. In case you want to be more innovative, you can also install some extra vertical and multi-tier bars on the balcony.
- Using these bars, hang the pots and use them for planting your vegetables.
- One thing to remember in this idea is that when installing the structure, remember that there should be enough space for movement. This is essential as, after the growth of plants, you will need to water them and care for them, and it will need space.
The window planters are one of the best types of hanging garden ideas you can try. The good thing about this idea is it is simple to install and doesn’t require much effort.
- If you have the problem of space and want to make maximum use of your space, then the window planters can help.
- In this idea, if you have the minimum space outside your windows, then you can simply install some windows platers.
- If you don’t have space outside the windows, then you can also go for inner window planters.
- The good thing about the window planters is that they don’t require you to leave the space for movement or care.
- All you need to do is open the window and give them essential care like water.
- It is also a good choice as to when you want your veggies; all you need to do is open the window and luck them.
- Using this idea, you can also create a hanging herb garden. One of the best places for it can be the kitchen window so that all the essential healthy herbs are just a hand away.
These are some of the best hanging vegetable garden ideas which you can try at home. The ideas in the article can help you create a garden easily and on a budget to help you eat healthy and organic.
How To Water Hanging Garden?
There are many ways to water the hanging garden. Some of them are
- Installing a drip system if your plants require regular moisture or if you don’t have time for irregular watering.
- You can also go watering them using the regular sprinkler cans.
- When watering, remember to provide them enough drainage.
- Another method to try is subsequent watering. This is a great way if you have veggies that require good drainage. In this method, plant them in a vertical planter and water the topmost pot. The water will gradually seep down to the other pots.
These are some of the methods by which you can water your hanging garden.
Things You Need To Know
Before creating a garden, these are some things which you need to keep in mind:
- Budget: Before you begin the creation of your hanging vegetable garden, remember that you will need equipment and supplies for it. So, decide your budget beforehand to help you plan accordingly.
- Care: Like any other garden, the hanging garden will also need care and so think before beginning whether you are ready for commitment. However, there are some low-maintenance needing plants which you can choose from.
- Rules: If you live in a rented space or an apartment, then consult the owner or the building society before creating a garden. This is essential as some areas and building codes prohibit such activities.
- Strength Of Structure: The weight of the pots filled with soil and water can be too much. So, before installing the structure for hanging basket plants, remember to consult a structural engineer. This will help you in deciding whether the structure is capable of handling the weight and thus avoiding any mishaps or damage.
- Water Supply: This is an important aspect as carrying large water buckets can be a task in itself. So ensure there are water faucets nearby to the garden location. However, you can innovate for this problem.
These are some of the things which you need to know before creating a hanging vegetable garden.
How To Create A Hanging Garden On Budget?
You can do the following things for creating a successful hanging garden on a budget:
- Get innovative. Use recycled things like bottles, cans, and jeans for planting your veggies.
- Create your own supplies like drip irrigation systems. For it, you can use a small gaze pipe, a bottle, and a supply control valve line you find on slaine bottle lines. Use large bottles like 2 liters coke bottles and install multiple pipes in them.
- Buy supplies from garage sales or second-hand supply stores.
- Grow your own saplings by using seeds.
- Create your own soil. For example, mix sand with regular compost for better drainage. Mix kitchen waste in the soil to provide plants with essential nutrients.
These are some of the things which you can do to create your own hanging vegetable garden on a budget.
Do you want to grow your own vegetables? But don’t have space for it? Well, then trying some hanging vegetable garden ideas can help you with it.
There are many hanging garden ideas that are innovative, easy to implement, and on the budget which you can try. The good thing about these ideas is that they allow you to have your own garden in minimum space. What do you think about the hanging vegetable garden? Do let us know in the comment box.